Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Turning Point

So, I decided to try something quite different for the next BYOB (about paring down intimidating and complicated holiday beer recipes). I gotta say, it wasn't something that came naturally to me and I probably won't work like this again, but I'm happy to have tried something new. Beer Advocate is awesome in that it gives me the freedom and opportunity to experiment, and I'm grateful for it.

I feel like my work has reached a turning point where it needs to be pushed out of its comfort zone, where I need to infuse something new and fresh in my illustration. I'm trying to make sense of how I want to be influenced by what inspires me. Which techniques do I adopt from artists I admire? which do I forgo? How do I ensure growth in my work while still remaining true to myself? It can be a pretty frustrating process, but thank goodness for it--otherwise my artwork runs the risk of becoming stale. I wouldn't want to get bored, now, would I?

No comments:

Post a Comment