Friday, September 16, 2011

Some Musical Theatre, Anyone?



Matt and I saw Candide: The Musical at the Huntington Theatre last night (tickets c/o my freaking awesome sister-in-law, Caryn, with seats so close to the stage we could see the spit flying from the actors' mouths) and it was so brain-pukingly amazing that I had to post about it. Consistent readers of my blog will know that I made some Candide-inspired pieces a while back, so it was all too perfect to get the chance to see the stage production.

I was completely mesmerized by the show--it was so well-acted by every single cast member, the music was great, the set was stunning, and the way they handled the source material was so clever! The video is almost kind of sad, because there's so much more going on in the background--little details that subtly cover bits of the book, like the sly glances between Pangloss and Paquette. Throughout the whole play it was like an episode of Arrested Development: jokes and foreshadowing and main plot all happening at once so there's no way to catch it all the first time around.

So I may have to catch it a second time around.

1 comment:

  1. This was a great video...amazing.....the acting, the music....superb!!

    ReplyDelete